This document sets out the approach which the GJI Group will take in relation to the treatment of Personal Information. It includes information on how GJI Group collects, uses, discloses and keeps secure, individuals’ personal information. It also covers how GJI Group makes the personal information it holds available for access to and correction by the individual.
This policy is a public document and has been prepared in light of APP 1, Open and transparent management of Personal Information.
1.1 GJI Group will only collect Personal Information where the information is necessary for GJI Group to perform one or more of its functions or activities. In this context, “collect” means gather, acquire or obtain by any means, information in circumstances where the individual is identifiable or identified.
1.2 GJI Group collects Personal Information primarily to supply employees of member organisations and individuals who obtain GJI Group products and services directly from GJI Group with information and details of it’s products and services. GJI Group also collects and uses Personal Information for secondary purposes including:
- provision of products and services;
- accounting purposes; and
- business planning and product development.
1.3 GJI Group collects Personal Information in a number of different ways including:
- forms (both paper and online, electronic forms);
- face to face meetings;
- communications via telephone, email or facsimile;
- interaction with our websites; and
- via our social media accounts.
1.4 GJI Group will notify individuals (including, but not limited to, our customers) of the matters listed below at the time of collecting any Personal Information:
- the main reason that we are collecting Personal Information (this reason will be the Primary Purpose);
- other related Uses or Disclosures that we may make of the Personal Information(Secondary Purposes);
- our identity and how individuals can contact us, if this is not obvious;
- that individuals can access the Personal Information that GJI Group holds about them;
- that individuals should contact GJI Group (even if they are not a member or an employee of a member) if they wish to access or correct Personal Information collected by us or have any concerns in relation to Personal Information;
- the organisations or types of organisations to whom we usually Disclose the Personal Information;
- where applicable, any law that requires the Personal Information to be collected;
- the consequences (if any) for the individual if all or part of the Personal Information is not provided to GJI Group.
1.5 Where it is not practicable for GJI Group to notify individuals of all of the Collection Information before the collection of Personal Information, GJI Group will ensure that individuals are notified of the Collection Information as soon as possible after the collection. GJI Group will provide “post collection notification” in those circumstances where it is not practicable to notify individuals about the collection of their personal information before it is collected.
1.6 GJI Group will not collect Sensitive Information from individuals except with express consent from the individual and only where it is necessary for GJI Group to collect such information for an activity or function.
1.7 GJI Group will not collect Personal Information secretly or in an underhanded way.
1.8 GJI Group will take steps to ensure that individuals on purchased lists are or have been notified of the information as outlined at 1.4.
2.1 GJI Group will obtain an individual’s consent for Use of non-sensitive Personal Information for Secondary Purposes at the time of collection, unless the Use is a related Secondary Purpose which would be within the relevant individual’s Reasonable Expectations.
2.2 GJI Group Uses Personal Information primarily for the purposes listed in 1.2 above.
2.3 If GJI Group relies on the Direct Marketing exception to Direct Market to individuals it will ensure that:
- individuals are clearly notified of their right to Opt Out from further Direct Marketing; and
- if the individual Opts Out of all Direct Marketing the Opt Out will be respected by GJI Group and implemented free of charge.
2.4 GJI Group will not use Sensitive Information for Direct Marketing.
2.5 GJI Group may use Personal Information to avoid an imminent threat to a person’s life or to public safety. It may also use Personal Information for reasons related to law enforcement or internal investigations into unlawful activities.
2.6 GJI Group will not use Personal Information without taking reasonable steps to ensure that the information is accurate, complete and up to date.
2.7 GJI Group will not attempt to match de-identified or anonymous data collected through surveys or such online devices as “cookies”, with information identifying an individual, without the consent of the relevant individual.
3.1 GJI Group may Disclose Personal Information to related or unrelated third parties if consent has been obtained from the individual.
3.2 GJI Group may Disclose Personal Information to unrelated third parties to enable outsourcing of functions where that Disclosure or Use is for a related Secondary Purpose and has been notified to individuals or where such Disclosure is within the individual’s Reasonable Expectations.
3.3 GJI Group will take reasonable steps to ensure that its contracts with third parties include requirements for third parties to comply with the Use and Disclosure requirements of the Privacy Act.
3.4 In the rare event that GJI Group is required to disclose Personal Information to law enforcement agencies, government agencies or external advisors GJI Group will only do so in accordance with the Privacy Act or any other relevant Australian legislation.
3.5 GJI Group may Disclose Personal Information to avoid an imminent threat to a person’s life or to public safety.
3.6 If a Disclosure is not for a Primary Purpose; is not for a related Secondary Purpose; or upfront consent has not been obtained, GJI Group will not Disclose Personal Information otherwise than in accordance with the exceptions set out at 3.1 to 3.6 above.
3.7 GJI Group does not generally share its customer lists on a commercial basis with third parties but if it did, it would only do so if we had the appropriate consent of the individual involved.
- Information Quality
4.1 GJI Group will review, on a regular and ongoing basis, its collection and storage practices to ascertain how improvements to accuracy can be achieved.
4.2 GJI Group will take steps to destroy or de-identify Personal Information after as short a time as possible and after a maximum of seven years, unless the law requires otherwise.
- Information Security
5.1 GJI Group requires employees and contractors to perform their duties in a manner that is consistent with GJI Group’ legal responsibilities in relation to privacy.
5.2 GJI Group will take all reasonable steps to ensure that paper and electronic records containing Personal Information are stored in facilities that are only accessible by people within GJI Group who have a genuine “need to know” as well as “right to know”.
5.3 GJI Group will review, on a regular and ongoing basis, its information security practices to ascertain how ongoing responsibilities can be achieved and maintained.
- Access and Correction
6.1 GJI Group will allow its records containing Personal Information to be accessed by the individual concerned in accordance with the Privacy Act.
6.2 GJI Group will correct its records containing Personal Information as soon as practically possible, at the request of the individual concerned in accordance with the Privacy Act.
6.3 Individuals wishing to lodge a request to access and/or correct their Personal Information should do so by contacting GJI Group.
6.4 GJI Group will not normally charge a fee for processing an access request unless the request is complex or is resource intensive.
7.1 Contact with GJI Group via phone or web inquiry will be the first point of contact for inquiries about privacy issues.
7.2 Any formal privacy related complaints should be directed in writing to the GJI Group – Privacy PO Box 2456 Mansfield QLD 4122 Australia
7.3 GJI Group will endeavour to manage any privacy related complaint efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Anonymous Transactions
8.1 GJI Group will not make it mandatory for visitors to its web sites to provide Personal Information unless such Personal Information is required to answer an inquiry or provide a service. GJI Group may however request visitors to provide Personal Information voluntarily to GJI Group (for example, as part of a competition or questionnaire).
8.2 GJI Group will allow its customers to transact with it anonymously wherever that is reasonable and practicable.
- Transferring personal information overseas
9.1 GJI Group generally does not send information overseas.
9.2 If Personal Information must be sent by GJI Group overseas for sound business reasons, GJI Group will require the overseas organisation receiving the information to provide a binding undertaking that it will handle that information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles, preferably as part of the services contract.
Collection Information means the information outlined in 1.5 notified to individuals prior to, or as soon as practical after, the collection of their Personal Information.
Direct Marketing means the marketing of goods or services through means of communication including written, verbal or electronic means. The goods or services which are marketed may be those of GJI Group or a Related Body Corporate or those of an independent third party organisation.
Disclosure generally means the release of information outside GJI Group, including under a contract to carry out an “outsourced function”.
Health Information means:
- information or an opinion about:
- the health or a disability (at any time) of an individual; or
- an individual’s expressed wishes about the future provision of health services to him or her; or
- a health service provided or to be provided to an individual; that is also personal information; or
- other personal information collected to provide or in providing a health service; or
- other personal information about an individual collected in connection with the donation; or intended donation by the individual of his or her body parts or body substances.
Opt-out means an individual’s expressed request not to receive further Direct Marketing.
GJI Group including its various brands and related entities.
Personal Information means information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion.
Primary Purpose is the dominant or fundamental reason for information being collected in a particular transaction.
Privacy Act means the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) as amended from time to time.
Reasonable Expectation means a reasonable individual’s expectation that their personal information might be Used or Disclosed for the particular purpose.
Sensitive Information means:
- information or an opinion about an Individual’s:
- racial or ethnic origin; or
- membership of a political association; or
- religious beliefs or affiliations; or
- philosophical beliefs; or
- membership of a professional or trade association; or
- membership of a trade union; or
- sexual preferences or practices; or
- criminal record; that is also personal information; or
- Health Information about an individual
Use means the handling of Personal Information within GJI Group.
Contacting GJI Group
Last updated: 3rd April 2017
GJI Group: ABN 37 071 491 720